Bausch & Lomb’s Orbscan® IIz provides a powerful diagnostic system that allows much greater understanding of the cornea than mere topography. This is particularly important when diagnosing corneal dystrophies such as keratoconus. Most current topography systems scan the surface of the eye at standard points to develop a map that is used to look for corneal problems such as keratoconus. The Orbscan II acquires over 9000 data points in 1.5 seconds to make a very detailed map of the entire corneal surface (11 mm), and analyze elevation and curvature measurements on both the anterior and posterior surfaces of the cornea. These maps are very important in the diagnosis of various forms of keratoconus. Both anterior and posterior maps of the cornea developed by the Orbscan can aid in the diagnosis of keratoconus. Combined with other clinical observations, the Orbscan is an invaluable aid in the diagnosis and treatment of keratoconus.
The Orbscan provides more comprehensive pre-op diagnostics and planning for many types of surgery including surgeries for keratoconus. In addition to this, the Orbscan can give exclusionary criteria so that keratoconus, pre-keratoconus, and corneal thinning can be identified to optimize outcomes. The Orbscan II may help explain reasons for decreased visual acuity post-op, and is designed to allow the surgeon to more accurately prescribe follow-up treatments for LASIK as well as other forms of eye surgery, if necessary. Treatments for keratoconus can be planned for with a greater level of detail.
Advantages of the Orbscan when evaluating a patient with keratoconus include:
- Acquires over 9000 data points in 1.5 seconds
- Analyzes elevation and curvature measurements on both anterior and posterior surfaces of the cornea and can offer a possible diagnosis for abnormalities, including keratoconus
- Capable of detecting and analyzing posterior corneal abnormalities where corneal anomalies (such as keratoconus) can first appear
- Features dynamic, Windows-based platform designed to integrate continuing advances via upgradeable software
- Customizable quad maps show any combination of measurements in one convenient format